Amber Road Announces Third Quarter 2014 Financial Results
Total revenue of $16.4 million increases 23% year-over-year
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ, November 6, 2014 -- Amber Road, Inc. (NYSE: AMBR), a leading provider of global trade management (GTM) solutions, today announced its financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2014.
Jim Preuninger, Chief Executive Officer of Amber Road, stated, "I am pleased with our third quarter results. We witnessed demand across all of our market segments as multi-national companies, both large and small, are facing mounting complexity and escalating costs related to global trade. We will continue to execute on our growth strategies to drive awareness and adoption of our highly differentiated offering across our large and growing market, and we are well positioned for long term success."
Third Quarter 2014 Financial Highlights
- Total revenue was $16.4 million, an increase of 23% from the comparable period in 2013
- Subscription revenue was $11.4 million, an increase of 16% from the comparable period in 2013
- Professional Services revenue was $5.0 million, an increase of 40% from the comparable period in 2013
- GAAP operating loss was $(2.0) million, compared to $(3.3) million in the comparable period in 2013
- Non-GAAP adjusted operating income (loss) which excludes stock-based compensation, puttable stock compensation, changes in the fair value of contingent consideration liability and severance costs was $0.1 million, compared to $(0.7) million in the comparable period in 2013, which excludes stock-based compensation, restricted stock expense, puttable stock compensation, change in fair value of contingent consideration liability and warrant expense
Net Loss attributable to common stockholders
- GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders was $(2.2) million, compared to $(4.7) million for the comparable period in 2013
- GAAP basic and diluted net loss per common share was $(0.09), compared to $(1.25) for the comparable period in 2013, based on 25.3 million and 3.8 million basic and diluted weighted average common shares outstanding, respectively
- Non-GAAP adjusted net loss was $(0.1) million, compared to $(0.9) million in the comparable period in 2013
- Non-GAAP adjusted net loss per common share was $0.00, compared to $(0.24) for the comparable period in 2013, based on 25.3 million and 3.8 million basic and diluted weighted average common shares outstanding, respectively
- Adjusted EBITDA was $1.4 million for the three months ended September 30, 2014 and $0.2 million in the comparable period in 2013
- Cash and cash equivalents at September 30, 2014 totaled $40.6 million, compared with $5.1 million at December 31, 2013
Third Quarter 2014 and Recent Business Highlights
Based on information available as of November 6, 2014, Amber Road is issuing guidance for the fourth quarter and full year 2014 as indicated below:
Fourth Quarter 2014:
Full Year 2014:
Expectations of non-GAAP adjusted loss from operations and non-GAAP adjusted loss per common share for the fourth quarter exclude stock-based compensation, puttable stock compensation and changes in the fair value of contingent consideration liability. Expectations of non-GAAP adjusted loss from operations and non-GAAP adjusted loss per common share for the full year 2014 exclude stock-based compensation, restricted stock expense, compensation expense related to loan forgiveness, puttable stock compensation, changes in the fair value of contingent consideration liability, warrant expense and severance costs.
Conference Call Information
Amber Road will host a conference call on Thursday, November 6, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) to discuss the company's third quarter financial results and its business outlook. To access this call, dial 888-337-8198 (domestic) or 719-325-2215 (international). The conference ID is 7388277.
Additionally, a live webcast of the conference call will be available in the "Investor Relations" section of the Company's web site at www.amberroad.com.
Following the conference call, a replay will be available at 877-870-5176 (domestic) or 858-384-5517 (international) from November 6, 2014, 8:00pm EST to November 13, 2014, 11:59pm EST. The replay pass code is 7388277. An archived webcast of this conference call will also be available in the "Investor Relations" section of the Company's web site at www.amberroad.com.
About Amber Road
Amber Road's (NYSE: AMBR) mission is to dramatically change the way companies conduct global trade. As a leading provider of cloud based global trade management (GTM) solutions, we automate import and export processes to enable goods to flow across international borders in the most efficient, compliant and profitable way. Our solution combines enterprise-class software, trade content sourced from government agencies and transportation providers in 139 countries, and a global supply chain network connecting our customers with their trading partners, including suppliers, freight forwarders, customs brokers and transportation carriers. We deliver our GTM solution using a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model and leverage a highly flexible technology framework to quickly and efficiently meet our customers' unique requirements around the world. For more information, please visit www.amberroad.com, email Solutions@AmberRoad.com or call 201-935-8588.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
To provide investors with additional information regarding our financial results, Amber Road has provided within this press release non-GAAP adjusted operating and net loss and adjusted EBITDA, financial measures that are not calculated in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP. Provided below is a reconciliation of GAAP operating and net loss to non-GAAP adjusted operating and net loss, and net loss to adjusted EBITDA. EBITDA consists of net loss plus depreciation and amortization, interest expense (income) and income tax expense. Adjusted EBITDA consists of EBITDA plus non-cash, stock-based compensation expense, restricted stock compensation, puttable stock compensation, warrant expense, compensation related to loan forgiveness as well as the change in fair value of warrant liability. Amber Road has included these non-GAAP measures in this press release because it assists in comparing performance on a consistent basis across reporting periods, as it removes from operating results the impact of the company's capital structure. Amber Road believes these non-GAAP measures are useful to an investor in evaluating its operating performance because they are often used by the financial community to measure a company's operating performance without regard to items such as depreciation and amortization, which can vary depending upon accounting methods and the book value of assets, and to present a meaningful measure of performance exclusive of its capital structure and the method by which assets were acquired.
Amber Road's use of these non-GAAP measures has limitations as an analytical tool, and you should not consider it in isolation or as a substitute for analysis of its results as reported under GAAP. Some of these limitations are:
Because of these and other limitations, you should consider these non-GAAP measures together with other GAAP-based financial performance measures, including various cash flow metrics, net loss and other GAAP results. A reconciliation of GAAP operating and net loss to non-GAAP adjusted operating and net loss, and adjusted EBITDA has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements. These statements identify substantial risks and uncertainties and relate to future events or our future financial performance. In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements by terminology such as "may," "will," "could," "should," "expect," "intend," "plan," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "predict," "potential," or "continue," and similar expressions, whether in the negative or affirmative. These statements are only predictions and may be inaccurate. Actual events or results may differ materially. In evaluating these statements, you should specifically consider various factors, including the risks outlined in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including, without limitation, our periodic and current SEC reports. These factors may cause our actual results to differ materially from any forward-looking statement. Although we believe that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, our future results, levels of activity, performance or achievements may differ from our expectations. Other than as required by law, we do not undertake to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date of this press release, even though our situation may change in the future.
- Cash used in operating activities was $(9.1) million for the first nine months of 2014, compared to $(2.9) million in the comparable period in 2013
- A reconciliation of GAAP operating and net loss to Non-GAAP adjusted operating income (loss) and net loss and of GAAP net loss to Adjusted EBITDA has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading "Non-GAAP Financial Measures."
- Announced that the Acteon Group, a leading global integrated subsea services provider, has chosen Amber Road to automate and standardize restricted party screening across all of its worldwide branded services. Previously, the individual Acteon branded services tracked and managed their trading partners independently and mostly manually. But with increasingly complex regulations and sanctions being imposed by multiple authorities around the world, the need for a reliable, automated solution to track regulations, evaluate trading partners, and ensure a standardized compliancy process for the entire group became acute
- Announced its proprietary Global Knowledge® Update Process achieved ISO 9001:2008 recertification. The ISO 9001:2008 is an internationally recognized set of standards for quality management systems developed and published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). To achieve recertification, Amber Road demonstrated its quality management system for its Global Knowledge® Update Process as consistently providing global trade content that meets customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements; enhances customer satisfaction; and includes continuous process improvement strategies
- Total revenue is expected to be in the range of $16.4 million to $16.8 million
- Non-GAAP adjusted operating loss is expected to be in the range of ($1.4) million to ($1.9) million
- Non-GAAP adjusted net loss per common share is expected to be in the range of ($0.07) to ($0.09). This assumes 25.3 million basic shares outstanding
- Total revenue is expected to be in the range of $63.6 million to $64.0 million
- Non-GAAP adjusted operating loss is expected to be in the range of ($3.7) million to ($4.2) million
- Non-GAAP adjusted net loss per common share is expected to be in the range of ($0.18) to ($0.20). This assumes 25.3 million basic shares outstanding
- although depreciation and amortization are non-cash charges, the assets being depreciated and amortized may have to be replaced in the future, and these non-GAAP measures do not reflect cash capital expenditure requirements for such replacements or for new capital expenditure requirements;
- these non-GAAP measures do not reflect changes in, or cash requirements for, working capital needs;
- these non-GAAP measures do not reflect the potentially dilutive impact of equity-based compensation;
- these non-GAAP measures do not reflect interest or tax payments that may represent a reduction in cash available; and
- other companies, including companies in Amber Road's industry, may calculate adjusted EBITDA differently, which reduces its usefulness as a comparative measure.